Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Hello Bathroom

Oh my...this has been one rough day. I woke up at 4:45 am on Tuesday feeling not so good. I thought I better head to the bathroom and before I made it there I had a mouth full of vomit. I love Mexican food, but coming back up...not so much. My nose was burning from the hot salsa spewing out of it. Of course I managed to get it all over my arm, down my shirt, etc... so I hopped in the shower to clean up. I went to tell Jim what had just happened and before I knew it I was up again running to the bathroom. I finished again and went to lay down on the couch for a few minutes.

By this time it was about 5:40 and I was the only person who had keys to open work at 6:15. I called my co-worker who was opening with me and told her I would come and unlock for them but wouldn't be staying. I managed to make it there, got unlocked and got them on the right track for the day and by 6:30 was running to the schools bathroom vomiting again. I grabbed my coat and headed straight home after that.

I came in and just laid down on the couch. Jim was up snow blowing a little while later. When he came in I was up and running to the bathroom again...other end this time. Absolutely miserable by this point, I managed to sort of sleep until about 8:55 when I was up for another round of both. I had nothing left in me to throw up, so was just throwing up bile. After I finished I curled back up into a ball and tried to get my mind on something else. At 10:40 I was puking again.

Jim came home for lunch and brought me some tums, toilet paper (we were about out...bad timing!), and tissues. I tried 2 tums and before he left that was out of me as well. He got the pleasure of listening and watching me throw up, I am sure that was not pleasant.

I had been waiting on a call back from the doctor and it came shortly after Jim left. They said I needed to wait until I had gone an hour without puking, then take 2 or 3 sips of water. If that stayed down for a half hour I could take 3-4 more sips until I was able to hold down 8oz of water in an hour. Then, I needed to be on the BRAT diet for at least the next 24 hours (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast). If I was not able to hold anything down for 24 hours from the time it started I was going to have to go in to the hospital to be put on fluid and what not. This was making for one awful day.

I made it an hour without puking, although I did have diarrhea but didn't count that. I took a few sips of water. I was SO thirsty I could hardly stand it. Before I knew I took a couple of big swallows f water and sure enough I was throwing up shortly thereafter, that was at about 1:25. I waited about 45 minutes and tried a few small sips. I took a couple small sips every 15 minutes or so. I thought I was making progress, but was vomiting again at 3. I called Jim and told him if it didn't get better we should go to the walk in clinic tonight.

When he got home from work he brought some bananas, applesauce and bread. I had been doing good sipping water. I was in the massage chair downstairs because I was so sore from puking. I went and laid down in the family room. Over the course of the next couple of hours I ate the equivalent of a couple spoonfuls of applesauce and drank an entire glass of water. I was feeling ok. I decided to head upstairs and before I knew it I was puking everything up again, this was at 8:30, just late enough that we couldn't make it to the walk in clinic in time. Jim had gone to drop off his families presents to his siser so she could take them to Christmas and I asked him to bring me back some ice and some pedialyte because the doctor had told me to try that. Jim was told when he was going to get it that his sister's friend, who has triplets, was told by her doctor to use gatorade instead of pedialyte because they work the same but pedialyte tastes so bad a lot of kids won't drink it. So Jim called and asked me and I did a quick search online to find out that it was true, it is recommended for replenishing dehydration in children and adults caused by excessive vomiting and diarrhea and is shown to have the same health benefits as the children's remedy, Pedialyte.

Well I made it to this morning and have eaten a couple of glassfuls of ice and have finished about half a bottle of gatorade. I feel much better this morning. I am extremely sore from the vomiting and heaving. I think I will try to eat something, maybe toast, and see how that goes. My husband is a rock star. He took such good care of me and finished all the wrapping and getting ready to go. He is definately awesome. Hopefully I make it through today without any catastrophes and everyone have a Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

mom said...

I am SO glad you got to feeling better and were able to come for Christmas Eve. I kept praying that you would be okay...not just so you could come for Christmas Eve, but so you wouldn't end up in the hospital. I'm glad that Jim is better now, too.
Love, Mom